Raleigh, NC, continues to maintain its position on “Best Places to Live” lists. The region’s appeal spreads to the Raleigh suburbs, which includes the town of Smithfield. If you’re trying to decide where to buy and what to look for, New Home Inc. has prepared a helpful guide to buying a home in Smithfield, NC.
What are the benefits of living in Smithfield, NC?
Convenient location. Why should you think about living in Smithfield, NC? Let’s start with the location. The town of about 13,000 people is located 25 miles southeast of Raleigh, a 30-minute commute. It’s also 43 miles northeast of Fayetteville, less than an hour from Fort Bragg. You can enjoy all the benefits of living in a quiet town while having easy access to everything happening in Raleigh and Fort Bragg and the many places in between.
Lively and diverse downtown district. Downtown Smithfield is truly the hub of the town, designated as an official Main Street Community by Main Street America. The historic district is filled with locally owned shops and restaurants of all kinds, something for every taste. Take your pick of things to do in Downtown Smithfield, including a calendar of events organized by a very active Downtown Development Corporation. Annual events include the Smithfield Ham & Yam Festival every May, the Smithfield River Rat Regatta on the Neuse River (August), the popular Downtown Smithfield Wine Walk, and the celebrations for St. Patrick’s Day, the 4th of July, Halloween, and the holiday season that runs from Thanksgiving through December.
Friendly atmosphere. Smithfield delivers on what you’d expect from a small town in North Carolina. People get to know one another, so you’ll find yourself with more friends than strangers. This familiarity adds to the sense of safety that people enjoy in a small town.
Plenty of outdoor recreation. If you love being outside, Smithfield is the place to be. This small town has big spaces for recreation. Head to Smithfield Community Park for sporting fun. Choose your sport here. There are fields and courts for outdoor basketball, tennis, baseball, soccer, football, and bocce. Plus, Smithfield Community Park has two playgrounds, picnic shelters, and walking trails. Just beyond at the Buffalo Creek Greenway (also known as the Neuse Riverwalk), your recreation choices expand to disc golf, horseshoes, and a batting cage. Not far from the park and greenway, you take on the challenge of 18 holes at the 7,000 yard golf course at The Country Club of Johnston County.
On a hot day, cool off at the Smithfield Recreation and Aquatic Center, an impressive facility that houses an eight-lane, 50-meter indoor pool and indoor splash park, as well as a gym, elevated walking track, racquetball courts, and fitness center. Smith-Collins Park’s splash pad is another great place to go on a hot day.
Smithfield is affordable. The cost of living in Smithfield is below the rest of the country and North Carolina. The cost of buying a new home in Smithfield, healthcare, groceries, and transportation, to name a few, are more affordable in this Raleigh suburb. So, you not only get a higher quality of life, but a lower cost of living in Smithfield, NC.
With all these benefits of living in Smithfield, NC, how do you find the right home here?
Where to buy a home in Smithfield, NC
When you’re ready to take advantage of the exceptional lifestyle in Smithfield, how can you decide where you want your home?
Well, in a small town like this, you can choose Downtown Smithfield where you’re close to the heart of everything—the shops, restaurants, services, and activities. Maybe you want to live by the Neuse River, which runs through the town. Or you want to be closer to your child’s school, or a particular place or to shorten your commute to work.
No matter where you choose to buy a new home in Smithfield, you’re just minutes away from what you need and want.
Buying the right home in Smithfield, NC
In addition to the location, think about what you need in your new home so you’re buying the right home in Smithfield, NC. Do you want a single-family home with a yard? Would you prefer the ease of living in a townhome where exterior maintenance is included?
Not sure yet? Ask yourself what matters and then prioritize your new home wish list for buying a new home. For example:
- Do you want a ranch-style, single-level home or multi-story?
- How much space do you want? Look at both the type and number of rooms and how large you want them to be. Measure rooms in your current home to get a sense of space.
- How many bathrooms will you need?
- What features do you want in each room?
- The kitchen is a new home list of its own, including the center island, the pantry (how about a walk-in pantry?), and a center island and what you want included with it.
- For other rooms, think about the amount of natural light you want streaming in the space.
- Where do you want the primary suite—on the first floor or upstairs?
- Do you need a home office? What would be the ideal location and how much space do you need?
- What other functional spaces do you want? A playroom, workout area, media room, hobby studio, library, man cave?
- Do you prefer the laundry room on the main floor or closer to the bedrooms?
- What do you want in your family entry (e.g., mudroom, drop zone)? How about cubbies, a hall bench, or other storage and organization features?
- How important is it for your new home to include smart home automation?
- Rate the importance of energy efficiency and indoor air quality in your new home.
- Do you have a pet? As you think about buying a home in Smithfield, would you like to have a pet washing or clean-up station? How about a private pet space, like an enclosed area under the stairs? (New Home Inc. includes this pet palace in our homes.)
- What do you envision for the right outdoor living space? What activities do you plan to enjoy there, such as outdoor cooking, entertaining, and watching TV?
- How much space do you need in your garage? In addition to storing your vehicles, would it be preferable to have storage and workspace?
Think carefully about what you want and need. Be clear about your priorities when talking with a builder or agent. Include those items on your new home wish list because you will likely regret it later if you compromise now.
Riverwalk: New homes for sale in Smithfield, NC
New Home Inc. has both townhomes and single-family homes for sale in Smithfield, so you have options for the location and way you want to live in this wonderful Raleigh suburb.
Riverwalk comprises 5 new homes on a quiet street across from the Neuse River and within easy walking distance of Downtown Smithfield. These 2-story, single-family homes for sale in Smithfield range from 2,100 to 3,100 square feet of indoor living space. The style reflects fine Southern architecture. Inside, each Riverwalk home has New Home Inc.’s upgraded list of standard features, including:
- Flex space that is purposefully located to accommodate the function you need;
- Smart home automation package: whole home network panel, front door lock, light switch and panel, thermostat, garage door opener, and video doorbell;
- Smart Door Delivery Center, a secure, temperature-controlled, enclosed space by the front entry for receiving home deliveries;
- Large kitchen island with seating on 3 sides;
- “Messy kitchen”, a service pantry with additional storage, serving, prep, and clean-up space;
- CAT6 cabling, eliminating dead zones and guaranteeing a strong, reliable signal;
- Electric vehicle charging station rough-in in the garage; and
- Whole home air filtration for improved indoor air quality
This list—and much more—represents New Home Inc.’s “Future-Proof” approach to building. We extensively researched the needs of today’s families and incorporated elements that support the changing lifestyle.
Franklin Townes: New townhomes in Smithfield, NC
Townhomes combine the spaciousness of a single-family home and the convenience of a condo. The multi-story design allows for square footage that’s equal to a detached home. The included maintenance means that you have more free time to “lock and leave” your home and head out whenever you want!
New Home Inc. is bringing 134, 3-story townhomes, located just minutes from Downtown Smithfield and near the Smithfield Recreation & Aquatics Center and the new Amazon facility in Smithfield. Franklin Townes features townhomes with floor plans that range from 1,800 to 2,300. In addition to the exterior maintenance, these new townhomes for sale in Smithfield include the same list of features as the single-family homes at Riverwalk.
When you choose to live at Franklin Townes, you get spacious, comfortable, and convenient luxury living!
We’ll guide you home to Smithfield
We hope this guide to buying a home in Smithfield, NC, has given you the information you need to explore this appealing Raleigh suburb. New Home Inc. is an innovative homebuilder. Our goal is to work with you to ensure you can find the home that fulfills your vision of good living. Please contact New Home Inc. to learn more about living in Smithfield and the various options for buying a new home here.